A tenant living in a rented or housing association property should feel safe and comfortable.
If you are living in a rental property that is in disrepair and your landlord or the housing association is refusing to repair or maintain the property, then look no further as we at Pennine Solicitors can help and advice as to what actions you can take. Please contact us on 01706 671434.
As soon as you become aware that there is a disrepair in the property, the tenant must notify the landlord or the housing association. It is best to report the disrepair in writing so you can retain this at evidence should the need arise for a court action.
What is Housing Disrepair?
Examples of Housing disrepair include the following but not limited to:
• Flooding or leaks in the property (water damage)
• Infestation for example mice, rats etc.
• Broken stair or bannisters
• Mould and damp
• Defective boiler
• Heating or radiators that do not work
• Faulty electrics
Whose responsibility is it?
The tenant before making contact must check who is responsible for the repairs usually set out in the tenancy agreement. Usually under a tenancy agreement the landlord has obligations to maintain, repair exterior of the property such as pipes and drain, ensure gas, water, heating, electrics are in good working condition.
If a property that you are living is either rented or is a housing association property and repairs have not been carried out after having notifying them and have given them reasonable time to rectify the repair or damage, then you may have a claim for any loss you have suffered as a result.
What are the requirements?
• report the disrepair
• Tenant should not cause the disrepair
• Failure by the landlord or housing association to rectify the disrepair

Time Limit

The limitation date for a housing disrepair claim is 6 years. This is from the date of knowledge that there was a disrepair.

This page is for information purposes only and should not be relied upon as a substitute to legal advice and does not amount to legal advice.